When the disciples asked Jesus what the signs of His 2nd coming would be, He warned them to keep watch and not to “fall asleep” should His return seem delayed. That is the problem with the word “soon.” How soon is soon? A few weeks, a few months, a few years, a few decades, or even a few hundred years as some prophesy?
On the one hand, the word “soon” gives us hope. On the other hand, when what we expect to happen doesn’t, the Bible says hope deferred makes the heart sick (Prov. 13:12). That is the problem with unspecific words.
Fortunately, God’s Word gives us plenty of time-specific prophesies that have a definite start time and a definite end time. We call these time-specific prophesies the chronos prophesies because they tell us the appointed or set times for God’s prophetic agenda.
As the set time draws closer, our attention shifts to the corresponding kairos signs. Here are the major signs of the end of this age (the end of the 6th great Day of God’s prophetic Week).
1. The Falling Away (the Apostasy) = Humanism. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3; Daniel 8:23; Psalm 2:1-3; Romans 9:11
The first has already been revealed. Yet even now it is accelerating rapidly and engulfing our culture and society.
Still To Come:
2. A Rebuilt Jewish Temple. 2 Thessalonians 2:4; Isaiah 66:1-4; Revelation 11:1-3
3. “Peace and Safety” Declaration. 1 Thessalonians 5:3
4. Israel Invaded by the Antichrist’s Coalition of Armies. Ezekiel 38:1-6, 8-9, 18-20; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3; Joel 2:1-11, 19; Jeremiah 30:5-9
5. Total Celestial Darkness (the sun, moon, stars/planet go dark all at once). Acts 2:20; Matthew 24:29; Luke 21:25-28; Joel 3:14-16